Meet Our Staff: Cori Phillips - Pastry Chef
One of our favorite Pastry Chefs, Cori Phillips, shares with us a little bit about what inspired her to pursue life in the culinary world, her “must-eat” spots to dine in Asheville, and her favorite things about working at City Bakery.
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I’m from Black Mountain, NC and graduated from AB Tech in Baking and Pastry Arts. I’ve been working in kitchens since I was 16. I’ve worked at The Red Rocker Inn in Black Mountain, S&W downtown, City Bakery and made jam with Imladris Farms.
2. What inspired you to become a Pastry Chef?
I remember watching Julia Child’s The French Chef when I was about 8 or 9 and I knew then and there that I wanted to do something with food. I got my first job in a kitchen when I was 16 plating desserts and I’ve been hooked and working with food ever since.
3. How long have you worked at City Bakery?
4. What is your favorite thing about working at City Bakery?
Working in an environment where you can take pride in your product start to finish and knowing that all your hard work is paying off when you get good feedback from the customer.
5. What are your absolute favorite CB item to make? And, of course, to eat?
I enjoy making the pies and cheesecakes and coming up with different flavors.
I love our bagels, I could eat them every day.
6. Your “must-eat” place to dine in Asheville?
Zambras, it’s always a great meal.
7. Favorite thing to do when you aren’t slinging pies?
When I'm not working I enjoy being with my daughter and husband, watching movies, getting together with friends and eating really good food.